Submitted by Rev. Dr. Don Longbottom, Conference Minister
In the next week, each congregation in the SCC should receive a poster advertising the South Central Conference Sunday. The suggested date is November 17th, but if another date works for your congregation, we want to encourage this Sunday. The scope of the ministries and services provided by the Conference and Slumber Falls Camp have far reaching effects on the lives of individuals, pastors, and congregations. Your support allows the church to offer these services which most churches could not afford to do on their own. Additionally, there is a Friends of the Conference Poster that is included, which we would like to stay up year round. We are asking that you place both posters in a prominent location.
In case you are wondering, we are not going out of business, on the contrary, we have a fair amount of value invested appropriately within our denomination’s financial network. However, good stewardship dictates that we not simply utilize funds donated by a prior generation. I have always believed that each generation needs to pay its own way. So I come to you asking for your individual and congregational support. The prior statement implies the question; How are the funds used by the conference?
Brief highlights of the ministries are below, but not complete.
- Gospel Proclamation – living, preaching, and teaching the good news of love, radical hospitality, and transformation in order to help transform the world in God’s image.
- Congregational Support – Revitalization, Crisis Management, Conflict Resolution, Search and Call, leadership development
- New Church plants – strategically identifying location for new churches, new church pastor training and support, financial support, etc.
- New Church Partnerships and Becoming a UCC church – Helping existing communities to become a UCC church or affiliated with the UCC in a formal relationship – we work with each association depending on location.
- Spiritual Formation and Development – leadership development, programs and retreats, and resources for congregations
- Disaster Relief Work and Mission Efforts
- Communication hub between congregations, conferences, and the national church. Data collection, directory work, and vetting candidates for congregations
- Outdoor Ministries – Camps, Conferences, Trainings, Retreats, Education, Youth/Children Missions, Pastor/Church Leader revitalization, Free Clergy/Minister mini sabbaticals, etc.
- Pastoral Support – Conference Minister is the pastors’ pastor, clergy support and development, search and call, spiritual development and other skill trainings.
The conference is one of the ways that the churches participate as the larger Body of Christ and how we show our love, support, and affirmation for each other. Please consider supporting the conference. The following are three ways to give to support the conference and camp:
- Church budget category known as OCWM (Our Church’s Wider Mission) – If you are able, please provide a moderate increase in this budgetary category.
- Friend of the Conference or Friend of the Camp – As an individual, you are able to make a pledge to the conference and camp directly. Within a very short time pledge cards designed for this purpose will arrive at your church.
- Conference or Camp Website – A donate button is found at the bottom of both websites. You can make a one-time contribution or set it up as a reoccurring donation.
Please help us invest in the future. Our witness is needed more than ever before.